Thursday, March 29, 2012

Writing Assignment 8

Summary: The main public policy understanding in the poor's fertility decision is based on their access to contraception. Lately studies have shown that other social norms such as family dynamics, and economic considerations also play a key role. A collossal determinant is the treatment of women. It seems that social policy aimed at eliminating discrimination against women can be a huge step in influencing population.
The stat that I decided to create a regression analysis on is the birth rate for teens in America. " In the United States, which has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the developed world, there are 4.5 births per 100 adolescent women."
I would hypothesis that teen pregnancy is negatively correlated with family income and amount of education. I believe these two factors are key determinents in both sexual activity and sexual prevention. To test this hypothesis I would regress teen pregnancy rates on the amount of education per pregnant teen and the family income per pregnant teen. I would also regress these dependent variable by themselves to see the relationship.
The dummy variable I would add is the presence of sexual education in their school system. Pregnant teens with sex ed would get a 1 while teens without sex ed would get a 0. I would expect my dummy variable to tell me that more teens without sexual education courses get pregnant. I expect my dummy variable for sexual education courses to be negative.
Finally my regression equation would look something like this Teenbrthrates=X+X1education+X2familyincome+Ei

No comments:

Post a Comment